Wednesday, November 12, 2008

{workin' woman wednesday}

Here's my first "real" installment of workin woman wednesday!

How many of you knew the first person interviewed here would be Lee-Ann from Paper Raisins?? Of course she's the first!!

I met Lee-Ann a year ago at the St.Norbert Y-Neighbour Used Toy and Clothing Sale. My friend knew her MIL and introduced me to her. She had the cutest clothing for sale, and the most beautiful hand-knitted hats and baby outfits. I particularly remember a tiny baby sweater in the softest of yarn, not white or pink or blue, but black! It was gorgeous!!

I told her I was a photographer just starting out and if she ever wanted to have pictures taken of her wares she should call me. She did (call) and we did (take pictures) and the rest is history!



Meet Lee-Ann!



Name: Lee-Ann Graham Hollar

AKA: Miss Mommy (as my daughter likes to call me) and several otherchildhood nicknames that some still use but I'd like to forget :)

Hails from: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Name of your business: Paper Raisins

When was your business born? It's been a work in progress for years but I officially launched my website in August 2008.

Why did you start your business? What inspires you? I've had a passion for creating things since I was a child. I enjoy making unique baby gifts, inunexpected textures and colors. I began to get "orders" from workmates,which got me thinking - maybe I can do something more with this. As for inspiration - my daughter has to be the number one. She has an amazing capacity for love, understanding, and maturity despite her age; also her bright cheerfulness can't help but inspire me!

What does you business offer? I offer unique hand-knit and hand-crocheted items. Lots of hats! I LOVE hats ...mostly for children with a couple grown-up items thrown into the mix.

Where do you see your business in the future? I'm working to expand my products line. There are so many great styles that I can't wait to explore. I'd like to expand my product line to include custom tailored garments. I enjoy designing children's occasion wear and have designed and produced some really unique garments in luxurious fabrics - that's something I'd like to do more of.

How do you balance work/family? Honestly, it's hard. I work a full-timeday job; have a 3 ½ year old daughter and a husband who's not well. So it is a lot to juggle. People tend to think that I must have a lot of freetime, which is definitely not the case. My Paper Raisins work can and does travel with me, to work during the day, to my in-laws, if I'm waiting in the car I'm usually working on a project, and in the evenings I have a hook in hand. A pair of extra arms would be great!!

Now for a few "fun" questions...



Skills: knitting, knitting socks (which are far too labour intensive forme to sell), crocheting, sewing, beading, making curried chicken, Frenchbraiding Barbie hair (come on, you know how small those heads are!!!),writing (I love to write - wrote a book for my daughter)!

Challenges: Feeling confident - I second-guess myself. Balancing all ofthe things that I'm passionate about, especially my other hobbies.

Chips or chocolate? No slurpee category...? I guess I'll go withchips...no chocolate... do I really have to choose?

Secret weapon: it wouldn't be a secret anymore if I told you would it?

Enemies/pet peeves: Bad customer service, people who lack a strong workethic.

Can't live without: Yarn...lots and lots of yarn... my family... maybe that should have come before the yarn... hee hee... oops!! Oh and especially Pyper... I'm constantly calling her over because "I need your head, come try this on", poor kid!

Heroes: Strong women

Little known facts: I used to plastic weld (my family had a business) andI have a framed collection of pencil sketches of people that I did in high-school, I have another book idea that I'd really like to work on someday... when I have spare time...

Anything else we should know? I like to talk... but I'm sure you could tell that from the answers to my questions!!!





Here's a picture of Lee-Ann and her cutie patootie daughter at our Paper Raisin photoshoot. Check out Lee-Ann's blog and see little "P's" first crocheted project! (she's only 3!!!!)



Thanks, Lee-Ann!

On a totally different note, I follow a blog called Blogs of Photogs. It has links to some AMAZING photographers and if you like looking at pictures you should check this one out! In her latest post Mary has profiled Connie from Barefoot Photo. Her blog is beautiful, but it also links Connie's husbands blog, Dut Duts and Gonuts. This blog is HILARIOUS!!!! Laugh out loud funny, literally. My youngest "I" asked me what I was laughing at when I was reading it this morning!! Go check it out right now, I'll wait........................................................................................

Was I right?????

Thanks for looking!

~Carol

ETA: Sorry for the misspelling of Shane's blog title!! Apparently it's GONUTS, not, GONADS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad you got some enjoyment from my blog. The whole idea was to give people a laugh. You gave me a laugh in exchange and I'm grateful for that as well. My blog title is
"Dut Duts and GoNuts", but Dut Dut and Gonads is a bit more to the point, and to be honest my guys think Gonad is a funnier word anyways. cheers, shane